tracker issue : CFB-4130081

select a category, or use search below
(searches all categories and all time range)

CFBlizzard File Search Freezing - How about SOLR Alternative?

| View in Tracker

Status/Resolution/Reason: Closed/Fixed/Fixed

Reporter/Name(from Bugbase): Travis Walters / Travis Walters (Travis Walters)

Created: 03/18/2016

Components: Performance

Versions: 2016,2018

Failure Type: Performance Issue

Found In Build/Fixed In Build: Beta1_v31 / 312699

Priority/Frequency: Major / Few users will encounter

Locale/System: English / Win All

Vote Count: 0

Problem Description:

File search causing Blizzard to freeze.

Steps to Reproduce:

With the Beta version of Coldfusion Builder, I created a project that has over 500,000 files within it. At the top menu, when I go to search and then file search, type in the text that I want to search for, click enclosing projects (making sure the main directory is selected), and then click search, 90% of the time it freezes the entire Blizzard program. The other 10% of the time, it won't freeze long enough for me to click 'run in background' and then it just errors out with some gc overhead limit exceeded error.

Actual Result:

Freezing or error message if I am lucky. When it freezes, I have to close and then restart blizzard.

Expected Result:

I have a ton of memory and 32 GB of RAM on this laptop that I am running Blizzard on and an extremely fast CPU. All I can hear is the CPU churning until the program crashes or errors out. I expect this to work though.

Any Workarounds:

How about some workarounds such as:

- Running the process in the background as the default
- Being able to limit the number of results that may be returned
- Being able to limit the resources used (memory, cpu, etc) for the search itself so we can actually do work while the search is running.
- How about hooking the file search feature up as a SOLR search feature. Entire files can be indexed with SOLR and it is already incorporated into ColdFusion.
- I am going to reiterate that last point: Hook SOLR up to the file search - we can literally process millions of files in a fraction of a second. Builder is supposed to be a developmental tool where a developer may be working on several large websites at once, each have thousands upon thousands of files. We need to be able to handle larger loads in terms of processing power.

----------------------------- Additional Watson Details -----------------------------

Watson Bug ID:	4130081

External Customer Info:
External Company:  
External Customer Name: Travis Walters
External Customer Email: TWALTERS84@HOTMAIL.COM
External Test Config:



Added By: PreRelease User User Name:Travis Walters Note Added: Entered Bug. Date Added :2015-12-11 06:01:18.0
Comment by CFwatson U.
26530 | March 18, 2016 05:26:46 AM GMT
Moved back to Milan as Shreyansh is moving to HTML portal customization with immediate effect !
Comment by Suresh J.
26531 | May 23, 2016 02:01:16 AM GMT
Based on the tests we found out that Eclipse and Builder behavior were almost similar except for 2 small bottlenecks. So for workaround I suggest to increase the max memory to around 4GB and use Builder with Mars Eclipse as base(either Mars standalone or Mars plugin) because Mars has done few performance improvements for Search feature. Also I suggest that once the search is started, user can close the search view till the time search completes. We have seen significant improvement by doing so. Though we will still keep looking why Eclipse is performing better than Builder on search view open by debugging Eclipse code in future update. But for now the above suggested workaround should solve the purpose. Moving this to next update due to lack of time.
Comment by Milan C.
26532 | May 25, 2016 05:35:50 AM GMT